About Us

History of Reddy Charlton

The firm was founded by Charles J Reddy.  He qualified as a solicitor on 13 October 1908.  He started his practice in Westland Row.  His practice involved a great deal of work for families and for religious orders.  Charles Reddy died on 13 June 1938.  We are delighted that we continue to act for a number of those families and congregations.

Next to supply their names and legal skills to the firm were Gerry Charlton and John McKnight.  Gerry Charlton graduated from UCD in 1956.  He served his apprenticeship to a solicitor with offices in Enniskillen and Kells.  Gerry Charlton specialised in litigation and business law.

John McKnight graduated the same year as Gerry Charlton.  He qualified in September 1957.  John McKnight started his legal career in county Cavan.  Later he set up a practice on Dame Street.

In the early 1960s Gerry Charlton, together with his good friend John Mc Knight, took over Charles J Reddy’s practice in Fitzwilliam Place.  The practice thenceforth bore the names of Reddy, Charlton and McKnight.

John was a star of the Armagh Gaelic football team, which reached the All-Ireland Final in 1954.  He was responsible for establishing the strong connection between the firm and the GAA.

Following the retirement of Gerry Charlton and John McKnight, the running of the firm has been passed to our current partners Paul Keane and Tom Marren.  

The firm celebrated the 100th anniversary of the enrolment as a solicitor of its founder, Charles J Reddy, in 2008.